AASV Position Statement: Pregnant Sow Housing
The American Association of Swine Veterinarians supports the use of sow housing configurations that:
- Minimize aggression and competition between sows;
- Protect sows from detrimental effects associated with environmental extremes, particularly temperature extremes;
- Reduce exposure to hazards that result in injuries;
- Provide every animal with daily access to appropriate food and water; and
- Facilitate observation of individual sow appetite, respiratory rate, urination and defecation, and reproductive status by caretakers.
Current scientific literature indicates that individual gestation stalls meet each of the aforementioned criteria, provided the appropriate level of stockmanship is administered.
Prepared by the AASV Pig Welfare Committee and approved by the AVMA HOD July 2002
This statement has been replaced by Sow Housing approved by the AASV Board of Directors October 17, 2012