As part of its mission to fund research with direct application to the profession, the American Association of Swine Veterinarians Foundation (AASVF) seeks research proposals for funding in 2010. Proposals are due February 1, 2010, and may request a maximum of $6000 (US$) per project. The selection and announcement of projects for funding will take place in March.
Proposed research must fit into one of the five action areas in the AASVF mission statement (see sidebar).
Proposals must also contain the following:
1. Identification of the issue
2. Background information
3. Description of the project
6. Plan to apply results for maximum return to swine veterinarians, veterinary students, or both.
No project timeline is to exceed 12 months. A final report will be due within 60 days of stated project completion. For more information, or to submit a proposal, contact:
AASV Foundation, 830 26th Street, Perry, IA 50220; Tel: 515-465-5255; Fax: 515-465-3832; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
AASV Foundation plans 2010 auction
Donate an item for the fundraising auction!
The AASV Foundation (AASVF) is gearing up for another exciting auction at the AASV 2010 Annual Meeting in Omaha, Nebraska! The past 2 years have seen the auction emerge as a key fundraiser for foundation programs such as scholarships, externship grants, and travel stipends for veterinary students to attend the annual meeting. The 2009 auction featured 67 items up for bid and netted over $67,000, nearly matching the previous year’s auction total of over $70,000. The auction committee hopes to repeat this performance during the 2010 live and silent auctions on Monday, March 8, at the Hilton Omaha Hotel.
The auction’s success is due not only to lively and generous bidding at the meeting, but also to the donation of auction items by AASV members and industry sponsors. For the 2010 auction, the foundation is once again requesting item donations to fill the auction catalog, and encourages AASV members to lead the way.
Submit donations by December 10
YOU can be a part of the auction fun and take pride in supporting the foundation by donating an item for the 2010 auction! To do so, please visit the AASVF Web site at www.aasv.org/foundation and complete the donation form to provide details about your auction item. Submit the form to the AASVF by December 10, 2009. Your contribution will be recognized in the printed auction catalog as well as on the auction Web site and in AASV e-Letter announcements about the auction.
Successful auction items in the past have included handcrafted items, hunting and fishing trips, sporting equipment, electronics, artwork, clothing items, and tickets to sporting events and other activities. Be creative and have fun! Remember, all donations to the AASV Foundation are tax deductible. Proceeds from the auction enable funding for AASV programs designed to “ensure the future…create a legacy” for swine veterinarians.
Your AASV Foundation:
- Administers endowments for the Howard Dunne and Alex Hogg Memorial Lectures
- Administers funding for Veterinary Student Scholarships
- Administers the Hogg Scholarship for a swine veterinarian pursuing an MS or PhD
- Co-sponsors travel stipends for veterinary students attending the AASV Annual Meeting
- Provides swine externship grants ($200 to $500 each) to veterinary students
- Funds swine research with direct application to the profession
- Funded 2008 AASV veterinary student summer intern to conduct euthanasia literature review
- Administers funding for the National Pork Industry Foundation Internship Stipends