Position Announcement: Swine Respiratory Disease Specialist
October 24, 2017 — Zoetis
Zoetis seeks a veterinarian to support porcine circovirus (PCV) and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae (M. hyo) biological products and performance validation in the commercial swine industry in the U.S. This position primarily supports the Pork Technical Services team and customers as a subject matter expert in PCV and M. hyo diagnostics, prevention, treatment and control. This position has key face-to-face interaction with customers (internally and externally) to communicate the technical and economic rationale of PCV and M. hyo control strategies, vaccination, and vaccination programming. This position will lead field commercial trials with customers and provide swine industry leadership in PCV and M. hyo control strategies. A 50% traveling commitment within the U.S. is expected.
- Create a strong alliance with the Marketing Bios group to develop strategies that support PCV and M. hyo vaccine and other product franchises.
- Oversee the successful introduction of vaccines with customers. Orchestrate a structured approach executed by the Pork Technical Services team to position the right product with the right customer.
- Demonstrate the value of the PCV2 and M hyo vaccines. This includes overseeing the introduction, execution and monitoring of vaccination programs and communicating them effectively internally and externally. Oversee performance validation studies across swine production systems.
- Implement and oversee all field trials with prospective customers and liaise with Outcomes Research for execution of trials with key customers in 2018. Generate field trial reports.
- Create an M. hyo control program that support the use of Zoetis products, services and technical expertise by leveraging the entire M. hyo portfolio of Bios, AIFs and MFAs.
- Develop a robust training program for Team Pork in collaboration with Learning and Development by providing live webinars, technical bulletins and on-demand webinars to train the field force. Generate a vigorous program of PCV and M hyo technical updates for veterinary clinics and production systems.
- Enhance scientific and professional image of Zoetis in PCV2 and PCVAD control.
- Identify and engage key opinion leaders and meet regularly to discuss PCV and M. hyo topics and product performance validation data. Cooperate with veterinary advisory boards and other committees to keep them abreast of developments.
- Interact with faculty at veterinary colleges that focus on swine research to exchange research ideas and monitor PCV and M. hyo trends at the diagnostic laboratories.
- Create a strong scientific presence by delivering oral and poster presentations at scientific meetings.
- Initiate research projects that create meaningful information and solutions for customers.
- Publish peer reviewed manuscripts in scientific journals to create credibility as a subject matter expert.
- Enhance communications with Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) and Commercial Development and Lifecycle Innovation (CDLCI) groups to generate ideas to create new products and lifecycle improvements for PCV/MH and combinations based on customer needs.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree with an advanced degree such as Masters or PhD is preferred
- 5+ years of swine industry experience interacting with U.S. production systems, swine veterinary clinics and colleges of veterinary medicine
- Proven publication record of scientific papers preferably in PCV2 and M. hyopneumoniae research
- Immunology expertise is an advantage
- Prior interaction with Customers/Swine Production, preferred
Required technical skills
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with various stakeholders
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft office suite and ability to learn Zoetis internal systems
- Ability to collaborate and effectively work within cross-functional teams
- Strong relationship building skills
Preferred technical skills
- Excellent judgment in conflict management and influence
- Research experience, published scientific papers
- Proven record of accomplishments, demonstrating successful veterinarian practice management, strategy execution experience and leadership
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to interact with and influence Senior Management, peers, and other functions
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Sitting at conferences and meetings, sitting in front of a computer
- Walking through or standing at swine barns for few hours
- Minimal lifting
- Travelling by car and air, driving
- Attending weekend industry meetings
- Limited international traveling
Zoetis is a global animal health company dedicated to supporting customers and their businesses in ever better ways. Building on 60 years of experience, we deliver quality medicines and vaccines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services.
We are working every day to better understand and address the real-world challenges faced by those who raise and care for animals in ways they find truly relevant. Our name, Zoetis, has its root in zo, familiar in words such as zoo and zoology and derived from zoetic, meaning "pertaining to life." It signals our company's dedication to supporting the veterinarians and livestock producers everywhere who raise and care for the farm and companion animals on which we all depend.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- Next story: People on the Move: Dr. Kristine Harms [AASV]
- Next in category: Position Announcement: Senior Swine Professional Service Veterinarian [Jobs]
- Previous in category: Position Announcement: Pork, Technical Services Veterinarian [Jobs]
- Previous story: Longitudinal Study of Staphylococcus Aureus Colonization and Infection in a Cohort of Swine Veterinarians in the United States [Abs.]