Debt Relief Scholarship Available to Young Practitioners
October 15, 2019 — AASV Staff
For the second year, the AASV Foundation will award a $5000 scholarship to an AASV member engaged in private practice who is between 2 and 5 years post-graduation from veterinary school and who carries a significant student debt burden.
The scholarship was initiated with a $110,000 contribution to the foundation by the Conrad Schmidt and Family Endowment. Dr Schmidt, a charter member of AASV, explained, "Together, Judy and I noticed that many new DVM graduates interested in swine medicine begin their professional life with heavy educational debt obligations. It is our desire to help AASV members who have dedicated their professional skills to swine herd health and production. We hope that this endowment will grow over time to assist in reducing the educational debt load of AASV members as they begin their professional journeys."
The Schmidts also expressed their hope that the contribution will prompt additional donors to join them in the effort to reduce the debt load of young veterinarians by endowing similar scholarships for other sectors of the profession such as corporate practice, technical services, and academia.
Applications are being accepted through January 31 for the scholarship to be awarded during the AASV Annual Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. The application form is available at aasv.org/foundation/debtrelief.php. The following criteria will be used to select the scholarship recipient:
- Joined AASV as a student enrolled in an AVMA-recognized college of veterinary medicine
- Attended the AASV Annual Meeting as a student
- Maintained continuous membership in AASV since graduation from veterinary school
- Is at least 2 years and at most 5 years post-graduation from veterinary school [2015, 2016, and 2017 DVM/VMD graduates]
- Has been engaged in private veterinary practice, 50% or more devoted to swine, providing on-farm service directly to independent pork producers. Veterinarians who work for production companies, pharmaceutical companies, or universities are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Has a significant student debt burden
For more information, contact the AASV Foundation: email@example.com, 515-465-5255.
- Next story: Make the Most of Your Foundation Contribution: Phibro Animal Health to Match $25,000 in 2019 [AASV]
- Previous in category: $5000 Scholarships Available for 10 Swine-Interested Veterinary Students [AASV]
- Previous story: $5000 Scholarships Available for 10 Swine-Interested Veterinary Students [AASV]