Veal Industry Converts to Group Housing
August 1, 2007 —
According to an article in the Animal Agriculture Alliance newsletter, the Board of Directors for the American Veal Association voted unanimously to convert the industry to group housing by 2017.
The reasons outlined in the resolution include:
- Veal housing methodology has progressed to the point where these methods may now be considered viable;
- Group housing already accounts for over 10% of veal production in the USA;
- Animal welfare is an issue many organizations consider in concert with their purchasing decisions;
- The veal industry must be mindful of consumer concerns;
- Group housing was legislatively imposed in the European Union;
- Conversion to group housing methodology will promote industry stability and growth.
Animal Agriculture Alliance Newsletter, July 31, 2007