"Dig Deep and Reach High" in Denver!
September 28, 2011 — AASV Staff
The AASV Foundation Auction Committee is setting its sights high in the mile-high city of Denver, Colorado, aiming for a record fundraising auction in 2012! Last spring, the Foundation re-appointed Dr. Warren Wilson as chair of the auction committee with the (tongue-in-cheek) stipulation that he continue as chairman until an auction brings in $100,000 - so the goal for 2012 is to raise $99,999!
Under the guidance of Dr. Wilson and, before him, Dr. Rod Johnson, the AASV Foundation Auctions have seen tremendous success in recent years. The past four auctions have generated between $65,000 and $72,000 each, with a grand total of more than a quarter of a million dollars! The auction committee is eager to continue this success at the 2012 live and silent auctions on Monday, March 12, during the AASV Annual Meeting in Denver. This key fundraiser provides financial support for a number of foundation programs, including scholarships, externship grants, and travel stipends for veterinary students to attend the annual meeting.
The auction success is due not only to lively and generous bidding at the meeting, but also to the donation of auction items by AASV members and industry sponsors. For the 2012 auction, the foundation is once again requesting item donations to fill the auction catalog, and encourages AASV members to lead the way.
Donate an item for the auction!
YOU can be a part of the auction fun and take pride in supporting the foundation by donating an item for the 2012 auction! To do so, please visit the AASVF Web site at http://www.aasv.org/foundation and complete the donation form to provide details about your auction item. Submit the form to the AASVF by December 15, 2011. Your contribution will be recognized in the printed auction catalog as well as on the auction Web site and in AASV e-Letter announcements about the auction.
Successful auction items in the past have included handcrafted items, hunting and fishing trips, sporting equipment, electronics, artwork, clothing items, tickets to sporting events, and even lawnmowers and utility vehicles! Be creative and have fun! Remember, all donations to the AASV Foundation are tax deductible. Proceeds from the auction enable funding for AASV programs designed to “ensure the future…create a legacy” for swine veterinarians.
Your AASV Foundation:
- Administers endowments for the Howard Dunne and Alex Hogg Memorial Lectures
- Administers the Hogg Scholarship for a swine veterinarian pursuing an MS or PhD
- Administers funding for Veterinary Student Scholarships
- Co-sponsors travel stipends for veterinary students attending the AASV Annual Meeting
- Provides swine externship grants ($200-$500 each) to veterinary students
- Funds swine research with direct application to the profession
- Administers funding for the National Pork Industry Foundation Veterinary Internship Stipends
- Provides support for member recollection videos
- Funds AASV student interns
- Next story: Position Announcement: Faculty Member in Swine Health [Jobs]
- Next in category: Just Do It! Nominate a Worthy Member for an AASV Award [AASV]
- Previous in category: AASV Industrial Partners Submissions Due Friday Sept 30 [AASV]
- Previous story: Position Announcement: Professional Services Veterinarian - Swine (Northern Iowa, Southern Minnesota) [Jobs]