Organic dust toxic syndrome: A noninfectious febrile illness after exposure to the hog barn environment
Susanna G. Von Essen, MD, MPH; Colene I. Andersen, MD; Lynette M. Smith, MS
Complete article is available online.
PDF version is available online.
(This Diagnostic Notes has no summary. Here is the first paragraph:)
Organic dust toxic syndrome (ODTS), also called "toxic alveolitis" and "pulmonary mycotoxosis" in the current medical literature, is a very common noninfectious febrile illness that is seen after inhalation exposure to organic dust.1-3 This problem occurs in a variety of work settings, but has been reported most often in individuals working in various aspects of production agriculture, including the hog confinement barn environment.4 The worker's response to inhalation of organic dust consists of lung inflammation and a self-limiting systemic inflammatory reaction, usually lasting several days. Medical treatment is not required in most cases. However, people who have experienced ODTS symptoms are at increased risk both for respiratory symptoms with subsequent exposures to organic dust, and for developing chronic bronchitis.
Keywords: Organic dust toxic syndrome, ODTS, toxic alveolitis pulmonary mycotoxosis
Cite as: Von Essen SG, Andersen CI, Smith LM. Organic dust toxic syndrome: A noninfectious febrile illness after exposure to the hog barn environment. J Swine Health Prod 2005;13(5):273-276.
Search the AASV web site for pages with similar keywords.