American Association of Swine Veterinarians Foundation
Swine Externship Grant Program
The AASV Foundation provides grants of $200 to $500 to veterinary students who complete an externship of at least two (2) weeks in a swine practice* or a mixed practice with a considerable swine component. The actual amount of the grant is dependent on the costs of the externship and approval of the Foundation. Any AASV student member in veterinary school who fulfills the requirements is eligible to apply. Grants are limited to one per student.
Grant applicants shall be enrolled in an accredited college of veterinary medicine and shall be student members of the AASV. Membership applications may be submitted at the same time as grant applications. The externship shall be in a practice in which at least one veterinarian is a member of the AASV.
The grants are intended to help defray the costs associated with externships. Students and practices shall make the needed arrangements for professional liability and worker's compensation insurance coverage for the student.
Students may apply for a grant by submitting the following prior to the externship (we recommend submitting this as soon as the externship is confirmed):
1) Completed application (incomplete applications shall not be considered),
2) A proposed budget, and
3) Letter from the practice confirming the externship, including:
Dates of externship
Practice member(s) who are AASV members
Brief description of the practice (e.g., % swine; # of veterinarians, etc.)
Brief description of the externship
The grant will be disbursed after successful completion of the externship. Successful completion of the externship requires that the applicant submit the following to the AASV Foundation office:
1) A brief report on the externship,
2) A confirmation from the practice that the applicant completed the full term of the externship, and
3) Itemization of total expenses (with receipts), including travel, lodging and meals. If driving, it is recommended to submit mileage for reimbursement at the IRS-approved rate in lieu of receipts for fuel.
For more information, contact:
830 26th Street
Perry , IA 50220
*Although it may involve a practice component, university-based coursework, including the Swine Medicine Education Center at Iowa State, does not qualify for the externship grant.