AASV Membership Application for veterinarians and veterinary students (to apply or renew).
Veterinarians worldwide are eligible for membership in the
American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV).
Membership is conducted on a calendar-year (Jan-Dec) basis with no pro-rating of dues, and includes the following benefits:
- A subscription to the Journal of Swine Health and Production (JSHAP), AASV's bi-monthly peer-reviewed journal
- Access to the electronic library of JSHAP issues on the AASV website
- Reduced registration fee for the AASV Annual Meeting of continuing education for swine veterinarians
- Access to the proceedings of the AASV Annual Meeting (pdf files) on the AASV website.
- A subscription to the AASV e-Letter, the weekly email newsletter for swine veterinarians
- A subscription to AASV-L, the email discussion list for swine veterinarians to share difficult cases and exchange information with each other
- A copy of the AASV membership directory and access to the electronic membership directory on the AASV Web site
- Eligibility for training and use of the Production Animal Disease Risk Assessment Program (PADRAP)
- Access to the Swine Information Library of conference proceedings
- Access to the Get It For Me document retrieval service offered to AASV practitioners by the Texas A&M Medical Sciences Library
- Access to AASV video and podcasts of annual meeting speaker presentations and interviews
- Access to the AASV Image Library containing downloadable jpg images of pigs, swine disease lesions (gross and microscopic), post mortem procedures, and more
- The opportunity to purchase additional swine reference materials, including the Swine Information Library USB Flash Drive.
- In addition, "ACTIVE Members" (veterinarians from the U.S., Canada, or Mexico) have the opportunity to vote, hold office, and serve on association committees
The membership application for veterinarians and veterinary students is available online as:
- Acrobat pdf to print and send in via fax or regular mail
- A secure online form to accept credit card payment over the Internet
Non-veterinarians may apply for AFFILIATE Membership in the AASV. This requires a different application which must be reviewed and approved by the AASV Executive Committee. Most successful applicants have an advanced degree in a related field such as animal science or nutrition and are actively conducting research of benefit to the swine industry. AFFILIATE members receive all of the benefits of membership with the exception of voting and office holding privileges. Click here for a pdf of the Affiliate Membership Application.
The following is a summary of the benefits of the various classes of membership in AASV and subscription to JSHAP. These are subject to change by the AASV Board at any time. This information is believed correct as of April 2016. Requirements are the briefest of summaries; please see the current bylaws (also printed in the front of the AASV membership directory) or contact the AASV office for complete descriptions.
|DVM or equiv.||Other||Web||JSHAP (printed)||JSHAP online||Attend AASV mtg||AASV mtg proceedings||Vote, hold office|
|Active||yes||reside in an AASV district (USA, Canada, Mexico)||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Associate||yes||reside outside any AASV district (outside North America)||yes||yes||yes||yes||no|
|Student||no||enrolled in veterinary school||yes||yes||yes, free||yes||no|
|Must be enrolled in Masters/PhD program related to swine||no||yes||yes, half rate||yes||as Active or Associate|
|Affiliate||no||"...shall have made noteworthy and outstanding contributions..."||yes||yes||yes||yes||no|
|10 years continuous membership; retired from veterinary activity. May also be granted by Board for special circumstances.||please contact the AASV||yes||yes||yes||yes||as Active or Associate|
|yes||age 70; 25 years continuous membership; Board approval||please contact the AASV||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|JSHAP Subscriber||not a class of membership in AASV; subscriptions are available to any individual or organization||yes||yes||