Producer Speakers Headline PWS
September 20, 2017 —
There will be no shortage of pig farmers from across the country leading the discussions and presenting at the National Pork Board's first-ever Pig Welfare Symposium (PWS) this November in Des Moines, Iowa. From their farm-level perspective, you will learn about how they implement the We Care ethical principles and are improving barn culture every day.
Producers speaking in the General Sessions include:
Keith Schoettmer, Tipton, Ind., 2015 America's Pig Farmer of the Year, Demonstrating Integrity - Walking the Talk. A first-hand perspective on how he has implemented the We Care ethical principles on his farm.
Glenn Stolt, Christensen Farms (Minn.); Joe Dykhuis, Dykhuis Farms, (Mich.); Phil Borgic, Borgic Farms (Ill.) - Creating Positive Barn Culture - A Producer Panel. This panel will discuss the tools that are available through the Pork Checkoff's Barn Culture Initiative and how they have implemented them on their farms.
Breakout Sessions including producer speakers include:
- Producer perspective of the auditing process
- Developing and implementing an on-farm pig handling training program
- Novel approaches to finishing pig load-out
- Animal welfare considerations during mass depopulation and Training employees for group gestation housing
- Producer Panel: Experiences with group-housing gestating sows
If you have not yet registered, very few spots remain available for in-person attendance, but many more do for virtual attendance. Please visit the PWS website for more information.
- Next story: Economic Opportunity Across State Lines: Enhancing Occupational License Portability [Edited] [Practice]
- Next in category: Registration Open for First Pig Welfare Symposium [Welfare]
- Previous in category: Registration Open for First Pig Welfare Symposium [Welfare]
- Previous story: Federal Veterinarians at Work [News]