Call for Research Proposals: Awards for Advancing Research in Respiratory Disease
January 10, 2018 —
The Awards for Advancing Research in Respiratory Disease, with the financial support from Boehringer Ingelheim (BI), is pleased to open the call for research proposals for 2018. Practicing veterinarians and researchers seeking a Research Award need to submit a proposal by January 15, 2018. Three $35,000 awards will be available.
Research proposals may be related to:
- Porcine circovirus Type 2 (PCV2)
- Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae
- Influenza A virus in swine (IAV-S)
- Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome
Submissions are inclusive of research projects addressing some of the industry's most pressing questions about the diagnosis, control and management of these infectious diseases.
"This program provides the connection for swine practitioners, stakeholders and producers to collaborate and research practical and applied questions of interest and importance to the swine industry," says Darin Madson, DVM, PhD, Diplo. ACVP, associate professor, Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Respiratory Disease Research Board member. "Outcomes from these projects improve procedures or efficiencies and ultimately provide sustainability for swine producers."
Over the last 14 years, Research Awards totaling more than $1.1 million have been given to 45 researchers. These researchers have supported the development of less costly, additional diagnostic testing and sampling processes, identified more effective biosecurity practices, sought to better understand PRRS virus transmission and developed risk assessment tools, therapeutic intervention programs and vaccination strategies.
"Swine respiratory diseases never take a day off, and they're a constant challenge. Innovative and field applicable research is important for developing new solutions, meeting industry needs, and improving our ability to control and manage these challenges to health, performance and profitability," says Reid Philips, DVM, swine senior technical manager, BI. "We at BI are proud to support this program and eagerly anticipate learning more about this year's Research Awards."
For more information on the Respiratory Disease Research Board and the Awards for Advancing Research in Respiratory Disease program, visit http://www.swineresearchawards.com. Additional instructions and submission forms are available under "instructions."
About the Respiratory Disease Research Board
The Respiratory Disease Research Board, an independent group of swine veterinarians and researchers, selects the Awards for Advancing Research in Respiratory Disease annually. Board members for the 2018 award selection process include:
- Luc Dufresne, DVM, Seaboard Foods, Shawnee Mission, Kansas • Tim Loula, DVM, Swine Vet Center, P.A., St. Peter, Minnesota
- Daryl Olsen, DVM, AMVC, Audubon, Iowa
- Montse Torremorell, DVM, PhD, University of Minnesota, St. Paul
- Darin Madson, DVM, PhD, Diplo. ACVP, Iowa State University, Ames
- C. Scanlon Daniels, DVM, 2017 AASV President-elect, Circle H Animal Health, LLC, Dalhart, Texas
- Josh Ellingson, DVM, 2017 AASV Young Swine Veterinarian of the Year, AMVC and Swine Medicine Education Center, Audubon, Iowa
For more information, please contact:
PR Account Supervisor broadhead.
Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
- Next story: PIC Swine Veterinary Externship Program [Students]
- Next in category: Alternative Antibiotic Gives Piglets a Boost [Research]
- Previous in category: APRIL in December Call for New Scientists and New Science [Research]
- Previous story: AASV Past Presidents Compete for New Donors [AASV]