Position Announcement: Tenure-track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor - Veterinary Epidemiology
December 17, 2019 — Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, in Ames, Iowa, is seeking qualified applicants for a full-time, tenure-track, faculty appointment in the area of veterinary epidemiology in the Department of Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine (VDPAM). The responsibilities of the position will be divided between didactic teaching and scholarly activity related to research, professional practice, and institutional service. The allocation of effort (%) among these duties will be dependent on the applicant and department's needs.
The successful candidate will participate in departmental graduate programs (PhD in Population Sciences in Animal Health; Certificate and MS in Veterinary Preventive Medicine), mentor graduate students, and serve as instructor-in-charge of graduate-level courses including Principles of Epidemiology (VDPAM 428/528) and Epidemiological Methods in Population Research (VDPAM 529). There will also be opportunities to develop additional graduate-level courses in the area of the candidate's interests and expertise, and to present selected lectures in the undergraduate and professional curricula.
Independently and/or collaboratively, the successful candidate will develop a research program focused on the application of quantitative epidemiological/statistical methods to food animal production medicine. Research will involve infectious disease, animal welfare, and/or food safety issues that affect the economic viability of livestock producers; research outcomes will lead to improvements in the health and welfare of animals and people.
The successful candidate will have a collegial, collaborative attitude, and a willingness to provide university and public service through committee involvement, participation in professional organizations, and providing continuing education. The successful candidate will also demonstrate a commitment to the mission of the ISU College of Veterinary Medicine: "the enhancement of the health and well-being of animals and human beings through excellence in education, research, professional practice, and committed service to the State of Iowa, the nation and the world."
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status and will not be discriminated against.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- PhD in epidemiology or a closely related field
The following appointments will require the experience and scholarship appropriate to each rank at Iowa State University (see section 5.2.3 of the ISU Faculty Handbook https://www.provost.iastate.edu/faculty-and-staff-resources/faculty-handbook). In brief:
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR: Evidence of strong academic record, demonstrating experience conducting research or other scholarly activity.
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR: Solid academic reputation and show promise of further development and productivity in his/her academic career by demonstrating excellence in scholarship that establishes the individual as a significant contributor to the field or profession, with potential for national distinction.
- FULL PROFESSOR: A professor should be recognized by his/her professional peers within the university, as well as nationally and/or internationally, for the quality of the contribution to his /her discipline, by demonstrating a national distinction in scholarship, as evident in candidate's wide recognition and outstanding contributions to the field or profession.
- Board certification in epidemiology or equivalent (e.g., American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine).
- Capability for developing and teaching graduate-level (MS, PhD) courses in the area of epidemiology and the statistical analysis of epidemiologic data.
- Capability for building an extramurally funded research program.
- A record of research in infectious diseases of livestock, food safety, and/or the health, productivity, and welfare of animals.
- A record of scholarly productivity, which may include publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts, books, book chapters, monographs, oral presentations, and other scholarly activity relevant to the position.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent degree.
Department/Program & College Description
VDPAM was created to strategically grow the resources and emphasis on production animal medicine at the ISU College of Veterinary Medicine. The department consists of approximately 55 faculty and teaches approximately 65 courses to veterinary students. VDPAM also offers a certificate program and a MS degree programs (thesis and non-thesis MS) in Veterinary Preventive Medicine, PhD in Population Sciences in Animal Health, and multiple residency programs.
To apply for this position, please visit the following website: https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Tenure-track-Assistant--Associate--or-Full-Professor---Veterinary-Epidemiology_R1351. Click on "Apply" and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three References
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
- Next story: People on the Move: Dr. Korakrit Poonsuk [AASV]
- Next in category: Position Announcement: Associate Swine Veterinarian [Jobs]
- Previous in category: Position Announcement: Technical Services Veterinarian - Swine [Jobs]
- Previous story: PIC Swine Veterinary Externship Program [Students]