Applicants Sought for Alternate Student Delegate on AASV Board of Directors
October 9, 2019 — AASV Staff
The AASV Student Recruitment Committee is accepting applications from veterinary students interested in serving as the Alternate Student Delegate on the AASV Board of Directors. This student will represent student interests and serve as a non-voting member of the AASV board. This experience will provide the student with a unique perspective of the inner workings of the AASV. The term of service is 2 years; the first year as alternate student delegate, and the second year as the student delegate.
The alternate student delegate and student delegate are required to attend the AASV board's two meetings each year. The spring board meeting is held in March or early April, usually in Perry, Iowa. The fall board meeting is generally held in late September or early October, also in Iowa, but the date and location of either meeting can vary as determined by the board. Both student delegates receive reimbursement to cover travel and lodging expenses for the spring and fall board meetings. In addition, the delegate and alternate delegate are voting members of the AASV Student Recruitment Committee, and are invited to participate in committee conference calls and meetings. The student delegate is encouraged to attend the AASV Annual Meeting to present a summary of board activities to the student membership and outline student opportunities in AASV during the student breakfast at the conference (however, travel expenses to attend the annual meeting are not reimbursed).
Interested students must be members of AASV in their freshman or sophomore year. Applicants are required to submit the following documentation to the AASV (830 26th Street, Perry, IA 50220, E-mail: email@example.com):
- An introductory letter, not to exceed one page, describing why they want to serve as the alternate student delegate for AASV, their level of interest/background in swine medicine, and their future career goals.
- A one- or two-page resume featuring the student's interest and experience in production medicine, particularly swine medicine.
- A statement of recommendation from a faculty member.
The deadline for submission of necessary documentation is Monday, November 11. The delegate will be chosen by members of the AASV Student Recruitment Committee following review of the submitted materials. Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision by December 20.
The term of service is two years, beginning at the AASV Annual Meeting. During the first year, the student will serve as the alternate student delegate. The alternate delegate will automatically succeed as student delegate, beginning at the annual meeting the following year. The alternate delegate will serve in the capacity of delegate if the student delegate is unable to carry out his/her duties. Each year, a new alternate delegate is selected by the AASV Student Recruitment Committee.
Questions may be directed to the chair of the AASV Student Recruitment Committee, Dr. Amy Maschhoff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Next story: Bidirectional Human-Swine Transmission of Seasonal Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 Virus in Pig Herd, France, 2018 [Abs.]
- Next in category: NPPC Accepting Applications for Veterinary Student Externships [Students]
- Previous in category: NPPC Accepting Applications for Veterinary Student Externships [Students]
- Previous story: Registration Now Open for 2019 ISU James D. McKean Swine Disease Conference [Conf.]